Thursday, January 19, 2012

Saranac Pomegrante Wheat



Matt Brewing Company

Saranac Pomegranate Wheat - 4.70% ABV

Rating: 3.5 out of 5.0

"This wholesome combination of unfiltered wheat beer and real pomegranate juice makes a smooth refreshing beer with all the goodness of pomegranate. Look for a light body with a slight tart finish and golden straw color."

Now I love Pomegranate anything. Have long before it became the hip new super fruit of choice. Pama is one of my favorite liquors to mix with other items at parties. I also love wheat beers. So when I saw a pomegranate wheat beer I was all over that like white on rice. Now for me personally Saranac is often hit or miss with their brews. Often I find the brews sound good on paper but at times fall short in reality of what it promises. They're not bad per se but just don't live up to their own hype sometimes. I was hoping for something refreshing, fruity, and just a good summer thirst quencher. I was not disappointed with this one.

As you can see it pours a nice hazy golden color. Not a lot of head and it does dissipate rather quickly too. It's got a more mild scent but you can smell the pomegranate. As for taste it is a bit mild but that's actually a good thing. Neither the bitterness of the hops nor the sweetness of the pomegranate outdo the other. I tasted the wheat maltiness up front which I expected. Then you get the mix of the hop flavor and pomegranate. The best feature about this beer is again the balance between the two. Often I find Saranac beers are middle of the road but this one for me was a bit better. Then again I do love wheat beers and pomegranate so maybe I'm just being nice.

While not an exceptional beer this one was quite good and very refreshing. So it does make for a good spring/summer thirst quencher. If you want a wheat beer that's a bit different I would at least give this one a try. So I'm giving this one a 3.5 out of 5.0.

No comments:

Post a Comment