Thursday, January 19, 2012

Lost Dog Red Ale



Napa Smith Brewery

Napa Smith Lost Dog Red Ale - 7.20% ABV

Rating: 3.0 out of 5.0

I had never heard of Napa Smith brewing before trying this beer. If anyone would have mentioned them I'd have assumed they were a winery given the "Napa" part of their name. So when I saw it at the store I was intrigued. Especially since it's rocking a 7.2% ABV.

As you can see it pours a nice amber color with a decent head. In terms of smell it's mostly malty with a light hop aroma. There were some earthy/grassy notes with some fruitiness as well. It was actually more mild smelling overall. As for the taste it starts out sweet with flavors of fruit, honey and caramel/mall. A lingering bready malt character comes in after the initial flavor burst. The hops presence is mild and really comes out with the sweeter aftertaste. Helps balance it some I thought. I had let mine sit out a bit and as it warmed I tasted the hop presence more as well.

Overall not a bad beer. Not exactly great but pretty solid. I'd buy it again. I'm gonna give this one a 3.0 out of 5.0 for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment