Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Dragonhead Stout



Orkney Brewery

Dragonhead Stout - 4.0% ABV

Rating: B+

"Dragonhead is a legendary stout: dark, intense and fully-flavoured, it is our tribute to the Vikings and their cultural legacy in Orkney."

The funny thing is I had picked this up before I decided to do my Scottish/Irish beer run for March. I picked up another from them and then realized they were both from the same brewery. Nice little coincidence. I do love my stouts so I was looking forward to this. Ok I love all beer let's be honest, but stouts are one of my favorite styles.

In terms of presentation this one pours to a nice deep brownish black with a thick mocha color head. You get the aroma of sweet roasted malt, caramel, bitter chocolate, and dry roast coffee. The aromas had my mouth watering and my taste buds praying it tasted as good as it smelled. It thankfully did but the taste was different than the aromas. It's much dryer then you'd expect given the aromas. You get a dry coffee taste up front followed by the roasted malt and a sweet and slightly bitter flavor. As it fades you get a dry roasted nut and malt finish.

This one here is a tricksy lil hobbit yes indeed. You expect something sweeter and thick and instead get a dry and thinner brew that really packs the dry roasted nut, malt, and coffee flavors. Not bad mind you, just not what you're expecting. I think it could use just a bit more balance and thickness to it but it'll still a fine beer. This stout gets a solid B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment