Thursday, February 23, 2012

Lionshead Pilsner


 The Lion Brewery

Lionshead Deluxe Pilsner - 4.50% ABV

Rating: 3.5 out of 5.0

"Lionshead is a classic Standard American Lager. Crisp, clean and slightly dry with some residual sweetness, it is very refreshing and thirst quenching. We use the finest American two-row and six-row barley and corn. Domestic hops add just a touch of bitterness."

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this one yet given how often I have it. My roommate buys this ALL THE TIME so I have some rather often. It comes in bottles and cans by the way. It pours to a light golden color with a thin white head. The head dissipates rather quickly though. As for smell you get the slightly sweet grain aroma and some corn and barley aromas as well. Slightly bread like in aroma. The taste is much the same. I find it bready but light with a nice balance between the mild hops presence and the decent malt character. The after-taste is slightly sweet and bready as well. It's clean but not overly crisp or very carbonated.

All in all it's a decent brew. Nothing great or fancy but it's good. If you want something with great flavor that moves you well move on. If you want a cheap but good beer for parties and cookouts and tailgating then you've got a good one here. By me a 12 pack of cans only goes for $9-$10 bucks. Think of it as a Bud/Coors/Miller but with actual taste and no watered down piss.

I'm giving this a 3.5 out of 5.0. Honestly it probably only deserves a 3.0 on taste alone, but I am factoring in it's low cost and overall decent taste in comparison to the big brand crap beers. So being in their cheap price range but having actual taste bumps it up an extra half rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment